Non-profit mentoring program searches for applicants to work with professionals

The second year of The University of Alabama’s Non-Profit Protégé Program is now underway, taking applications for students to participate in an eight-week mentoring program with non-profit professionals.

A collaborative effort of the Community Service Center and the Career Center, the program started in 2011, pairing participants with an administrator or CEO of an Alabama non-profit organization. The members are expected to arrange weekly meetings with their mentor.

Not to be confused with an internship, the experience grants a limited number of students the opportunity to attend board meetings, sit in on staff and committee meetings, visit with potential financial donors and witness the working world of a non-profit leader.

Kimberly Montgomery, assistant director of the CSC, is heading this year’s program and adopting the responsibilities of former assistant director Rachel Edington, who propelled the program into success. Although the program’s administration has changed, the goals remain the same.

“Our expectations are as it was last year: to have students make valuable connections and gain profitable insight into their career plans,” Montgomery said.

Students of all majors are encouraged to apply.

“The Non-Profit Protégé Program is an experience for someone who wants to make a positive change for themselves, their non-profit and the community,” said Haley Clemons, a student director of public relations, marketing and graphic design at the CSC.

Junior accounting major Marina Roberts’ participation with the program last year led to other professional opportunities.

After Roberts expressed interest in the grant process, her mentor D’Undray Peterson at Tuscaloosa’s One Place put her in contact with a grant writer. Having established a connection, and receiving guidance from the writer, she is now in the process of writing her grant and attributes all of her success to the program.

UA graduate Nicole Carr applied last year in hopes of getting a better understanding of the daily operations of working in a non-profit. She was pleased with her mentor, who went the extra mile to ensure Carr accomplished everything she wanted in the program.

“My mentor gave me a tour of five non-profits, where I was able to see the daily operations of each, as well as interact with individuals at some,” said Carr, who still maintains contact with her mentor.

“We just want to continue the momentum that we have going for the program and reach out to more students to get involved,” Wahnee Sherman, director of the CSC, said.

Students interested in applying must be at least a sophomore enrolled at the University by this fall and have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA. Applications are due Friday, Sept. 21 by 5 p.m. to the CSC, located in the Ferguson Center.