Scholarship started after student’s death

Those who knew Tre’ Jones didn’t often see him as a friend. Anyone that had a relationship with Jones called him family.

“He was always there for you no matter the situation, and you could always count on him to pull through,” friend and fraternity brother Maceo Caudle said. “Yes, Tre’ wasn’t perfect, but who is? All he cared about was being a light for others and completing any task in life to get where he was trying to go.”

University of Alabama sophomore Tre’ Jones died Thursday, April 5. Jones, a construction engineering major, was a member of the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity.

Caudle agreed to speak to the Crimson White on behalf of Jones’ family and friends.

“Tre’ was known by many,” he said. “He touched many people in ways that others cannot,” Caudle said. “It wasn’t by what he said or what he did; Tre’ was a very unique individual. His charisma uplifted others. No matter what he was going through or what anyone else was going through, he stayed positive. He’s a very strong man. He would go out of his way or do anything for anybody without hesitation.”

Caudle said Jones was studying construction engineering in hopes of taking over the family’s construction company behind his father, whom Jones idolized. The Jones family established a UA scholarship in Tre’s name following his death.

“He would go out his way, as well as do anything, to make his parents proud,” Caudle said.

Though the Tuscaloosa News reported Monday that Jones jumped over the rail of the Bama Belle riverboat Thursday night, Caudle declined to comment on the information.

“Regardless of rumors, the police report or how the media portrays the incident doesn’t bring back our beloved one,” Caudle said. “He was a person you wanted to be around, and I feel as if that was his gift from God.”

Caudle also gave a statement from family and friends.

“On behalf of friends, family and the Eta Chi Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi we would like to thank everyone for everything that anyone has done,” Caudle said. “We truly appreciate everyone’s condolences in time of grief, and we would like for everyone to keep his family, friends, loved ones, our chapter, the University and community in your prayers. We could never express our gratitude in what this means to us.”