Hate being alone? A dating coach discusses tips for finding ‘social freedom’

Toward the end of my junior year here at the University of Alabama, I can’t help but notice how everyone on Facebook is either getting engaged or having a baby — except for me, that is. Studies show being in a relationship is actually healthy for you. So dating confidence coach and author of “Being Alone Sucks!” Adam LoDolce helped cue me in on some of the difficulties of dating and how to overcome them, so we single people can couple-up and live healthy lives together.

In 2007, the United States Department of Health and Human Services reported married couples are happier, which may improve physical health by reducing stress, depression and other mental illnesses. Although only a small percentage of undergraduate students are married, a committed relationship may have similarly positive effects. So, how would one go about obtaining an old ball-and-chain? It’s all about “social freedom,” claims LoDolce.

“Everyone’s greatest fear is facing rejection,” LoDolce said. “Social freedom is the confidence to be true to yourself.”

In other words, putting yourself out there and not being afraid to be yourself is the ultimate key to meeting people. Terrifying, I know. To enter into a state of social freedom, LoDolce has specific exercises to perform before a night out on the town, such as high fiving and creating conversation with random people.

“It’s so insanely critical to get warmed up before going out,” added LoDolce. “The worst thing you can do is let yourself get into your own head.”

LoDolce also advises us singletons to be patient and have fun in the process of finding that special someone. “Having fun” doesn’t mean getting chocolaty-wasted and hooking up with the first person that says yes, even though that is what a lot of college students resort to in their loneliest of hours. Be silly, let go of your insecurities and don’t stress about meeting someone.

“Stop putting so much pressure on yourself to find someone when you go out,” LoDolce said. “Dating should be a fun and enjoyable process. Those who are socially free are the most attractive personalities out there.”

To hear more, Adam LoDolce will be speaking about “Social Freedom” Wednesday night at 8 p.m. in the Ferguson Theater. He will also be at the UA Health Hut located in the Ferguson Plaza Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. For more information on LoDolce and his book, you can visit his website www.adamlodolce.com.