Sexual health paramount not just during spring break

Call it what you want – the horizontal mambo, bed exercising, making love – sex is one of the many activities college students avidly participate in during spring break shenanigans. When it comes down to getting it on, there are several safety precautions and considerations to acknowledge before leaping into the sack. So, for those who are planning on a little roll in the hay this spring break (or anytime, really), here are a few reminders:

Use contraceptives. Contraceptives encompass everything from birth control pills to condoms – basically anything that will prevent pregnancy or the transmission of sexually transmitted infections. To ensure that neither pregnancy nor the transmission of an STI ensue from a romp in the sack, use a barrier method (a condom, a diaphragm, etc.) and an oral contraceptive.

Planned Parenthood reports 15 to 24 out of 100 women who use barrier methods experience unplanned pregnancies, and two to nine women out of 100 who use oral contraceptives encounter pregnancy. The only sure way to circumvent contracting an STI aside from not having sex is to use a condom. So, for the 76 percent of college boys who want to sleep with someone they meet on spring break, heed this message: Don’t be silly, wrap your willy.

Talk before you act. Getting all expectations or concerns out in the open makes doing the deed less tense. Talking about previous partners, whether the act is a one-night-stand or has the potential to lead to a future relationship and other red flags that may arise the next day can alleviate problems ahead of time. Also, verbal consent must be voiced by both parties; otherwise, prepare for one hell of a mess. Remember, no means no.

Know your partner. Typically, knowing who you’re about to shag helps ease a few concerns. Plus, it makes the act a little less awkward. It also decreases the chances of contracting an STI, an embarrassing situation anyone would want to circumvent like Snooki’s orange, oompa-loompa-colored complexion. A 2010 STI investigation launched by the Centers for Disease Control found that although young adults ages 15 to 24 account for only 25 percent of the sexually active population, they contract close to half of all new STIs.

Abstinence is the only 100 percent effective way to stay STI free and avoid pregnancy. Let’s be honest: Expecting all college students to practice abstinence is like expecting Lindsay Lohan to stay sober – not likely to happen. So, in lieu of pushing abstinence, practice safe sex. Do keep in mind the only sure-fire way to stay STI and pregnancy free, plus avoid emotional detriments, is to practice abstinence.

A wise man – Lil’ Wayne to be specific – once said, “Safe sex is great sex, better wear a latex ‘cuz you don’t want that late text, that ‘I think I’m late’ text.” Play safe, kids. One night of fun isn’t worth a lifetime of trouble.

COLUMN | Health

Sexual Health: Think before you spring into action

By Tricia Vaughn