Being skinny is not the same as being healthy

The countdown to spring break has begun! With thirty-one days and counting, a number of students are taking measures to reach their “beach body” physique. Diet and exercise are important; however, they should not be crammed into your daily routine the month before spring break. This kind of regimen could potentially lead to eating disorders and a number of other health issues. Rather, they should be habits of a healthy lifestyle.

According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, “91% of women surveyed on a college campus had attempted to control their weight through dieting. 22% dieted often or always. Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among adolescents and 25% of college-aged women engage in bingeing and purging as a weight-management technique.”

Anorexia nervosa is when an individual has an intense fear of weight gain and limits their food intake to unhealthy measures, often starving oneself. Exercising excessively can also correspond with someone who is suffering from anorexia’s fear.

Bingeing and purging are characteristics of bulimia. Bulimia is when an individual overeats and feels as if they do not have control over how much they eat. Following the episode, the individual forces the food to leave his or her body by means of vomiting or laxative abuse to prevent weight gain. These eating disorders do not only affect women, but men as well – as many as 10 to 15 percent of men are affected by anorexia or bulimia. Also, many people are affected by unspecified eating disorders. These disorders are when individuals exhibit irregular eating patterns that do not fall into the category of Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia.

Eating disorders not only result in a distorted body image but also cause physical, mental and emotional health problems. Some of the physical health problems caused are: heart and kidney problems, irregular menstruation for women, esophagus disintegration, malnutrition, dehydration, low blood pressure, bruised and cut up knuckles and fingers and dental problems. Mental and emotional problems that may result are depression, anxiety, chronic stress and insomnia.

If you or someone you know is suffering from body image issues or an eating disorder, help is available. Sheena Quizon, a Registered Dietitian in the Department of Health Promotion and Wellness at the Student Health Center, can provide nutritional counseling for students dealing with these body issues. The Women’s Resource Center and Counseling Center are also great recourses if you or someone you know is struggling with any of these issues.

It is about being healthy not skinny!

Eta Sigma Gamma is The University of Alabama’s health honor society.