Health and wellness advice for a new year, new you

From Eta Sigma Gamma

Have you ever realized that when you go to the gym in January, it’s packed? Yet, by February, the availability of empty machines increases? Perhaps that is a result of the American fad to set New Year’s resolutions that are more of a temporary adjustment and not an actual change in lifestyle.

“Physical inactivity is quickly becoming one of the nation’s largest public health problems. The good news is, the cost to start turning around this once estimated combined direct and indirect cost of over $250 billion, is only $0.00. Once again that cost is ZERO,” according to Robert Herron, graduate assistant in the University of Alabama’s Office of Health Promotion and Wellness.

Currently, only three in ten adults get the recommended amount of physical activity, according to the President’s Council of Physical Fitness and Sports. This lack of physical activity among Americans has resulted in 33.8 percent of adults suffering from obesity.

So what is the recommended amount of exercise? The Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous activity a week. To differentiate between moderate and vigorous activity, you can base it off your ability to hold a conversation. If you can easily talk, you are exercising at a moderate level. Some examples are briskly walking, water aerobics and riding a bike on level ground. When you can no longer hold a conversation, you are reaching a vigorous level. Some vigorous activities are jogging, running, swimming, lifting weights and bike riding uphill. Also, when creating an exercise program, you should include both cardiovascular activity as well as strength training.

According to the American College of Sports Medicine, “cardiovascular exercise is any activity that increases respiration and heart rate while using large muscle groups repetitively.” Strength training is also known as resistance training and weight training. It requires that muscles move against an opposing force.

The top three causes of death are heart disease, cancer and stroke. Research has proven that getting the recommended amount of physical activity can decrease heart disease, high blood pressure, risk of type 2 diabetes, stroke and some forms of cancer. Not only will exercise benefit your body physically, but it can also help improve your self-esteem and relieve stress.

“Endorphins are the body’s natural feel-good chemicals,” said Herron. In addition to exercise-releasing endorphins, Herron said, “exercise also releases adrenaline, serotonin, and dopamine. These chemicals work together to make you feel good.”

The Student Recreation Center and the Aquatic Center are both great resources on the University of Alabama’s campus to improve your physical fitness. They have fully outfitted weight rooms, a rock climbing wall, indoor track, a variety of cardio machines, basketball courts, racquet sports facilities, indoor pools and much more. There is also a list of group exercise classes taught throughout the day.

Think about it. What fits your busy schedule better – exercising one hour a day or being dead 24 hours a day?

Eta Sigma Gamma is the health promotion, health wellness and health education honor society.