Student art featured at Ferguson Center

Student art featured at Ferguson Center
Pete Pajor

There is still time before the semester ends to visit The Capstone Expo, a senior art showcase, in the Ferguson Center Art Gallery. The Gallery is open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The art gallery provides UA students, faculty, staff and the surrounding artistic community an outlet to showcase their work.

This month UA students Katherine Jaeger, Jacob Davidson, Tristan Watts, Amber Jones, Ashton Minto and Lauren Ruel have displayed their work in the art gallery. Collectively, they represented a wide range of styles in the gallery.

“We try to change out the exhibit on a monthly basis to give priority to students and graduate students,” gallery coordinator Kelli Knox-Hall said.

The art gallery worked with the art department to identify students for the showcase. The gallery is always taking submissions for exhibit ideas, and they will take reservations up to a year in advance.

“We are really excited about this particular exhibit and the works we have in it,” Knox-Hall said. “I’d encourage students to come by and see it before the semester closes.”

Katherine Jaeger

Major: Interdisciplinary studies with depth study in art therapy

Medium: Acrylic and oil painting

Jaeger has nine oil or water-based paintings in the gallery and one sculpture piece. The sculpture is a painted concrete piece.

“I always started out general to specific,” she said. “A lot of my work is based on nature, but I change them to make them more beautiful to me.”

Jaeger said she does not like to have a plan when she works, but wants for her art to be more intuitive.

She hopes to attend art therapy school, a two-year program, after she graduates and work with children using art as a process of healing.

Jacob Davidson

Major: Digital Art and Painting

Medium: Oils painting, printmaking, ink.

Davidson has various works in the gallery including two lithographs, three linoleum block relief prints, two oil paintings, and two mixed media pieces.

“Like everyone else, I start the process in my head,” he said. “I think of subject matter, whether representational or non-representational, that I think is fun or interesting and then let that idea marinate for a while.”

Davidson said he usually sketches out the idea on paper in the middle of a non-art class and then decides which medium, such as oils, printmaking or ink, would be best suited for the idea.

After graduation, Davidson said he will continue creating artwork no matter where he ends up.

“I couldn’t bear not having an expressive visual outlet for imagination,” he said. “I would like to go to graduate school, but I am going to take a semester or two off to gather up all my work and get my things in order.”

Currently, Davidson is searching for a full-time graphic design position and doing freelance design.

“I’ll be sad to leave Tuscaloosa, and I’d love nothing more than to find a solid graphic design job around here, but the openings are slim,” he said. “But wherever I go, I’ll continue pursuing art.”

Tristan Watts

Major: Studio Art

Medium: Painting

Watts did a piece on loneliness and isolation. He painted a scene from Greensboro Avenue in Tuscaloosa several times before achieving what he was looking for.

Watts said he was happy with his piece and that it conveyed what he was looking for.

“After graduation, I hope to keep working on my art and eventually go to graduate school in the future,” he said. “I really enjoyed the art program and encourage students to take art classes while they are here.”

Amber Jones

Major: BFA student concentrating in sculpture and ceramics.

Medium: Ceramics, paper

In the gallery, Jones has three ceramic platters as well as paper houses she created.

“My ceramic work is a lengthy process,” she said. “In addition to making the pieces with the wet flat, each piece has to go through at several firing processes, and many of the results are extremely difficult to control.”

She prefers raku work because it is a quicker process that she believes she has more control over.

“With my sculptural work, I pull from family narratives and memories and work to create a visual family history through both found and handmade objects,” Jones said.

After graduating next week, Jones will move to Memphis, Tenn. She will probably focus on painting, because she can paint from pretty much anywhere, she said.

“The equipment needed for my ceramic work is very expensive, and is not ideal for the apartment setting,” she said. “I would love to eventually start a clay co-op there [Memphis] to allow community members who are interested in the ceramic arts to work with the material, regardless of monetary or equipment/workspace limitations.”

To submit and idea for an exhibit, visit ferguson.ua.edu/artgallery or contact Kelli Knox-Hall at (205) 348-3250.