Progress is possible at the Capstone

Progress is an interesting topic. Different people probably look at progress in different ways. Some probably imagine progress as wholesale changes while others consider progress just simply having dialogue on a controversial topic.

As I prepare to walk across the stage as a graduate of the University of Alabama next Saturday, I find myself thinking about progress. During my three and a half years at the Capstone, I have certainly made progress as both a student and as an individual. At the same time, our campus as a whole has also made considerable progress, regardless of what anyone says.

I came to the Capstone with strong ambitions of serving as SGA President. I had even picked out a slogan: “for a better tomorrow, vote Seth today.” (I know, I know…that is terribly cheesy, but I have never been the most creative person.) I quickly realized that being SGA President was outside my reach, so I refocused my attention to other positions in SGA. SGA was my passion. While other students have used avenues such as Creative Campus, Honors College, club sports or their greek organizations, I loved the opportunities available to me in SGA.

Last spring I went from being the campaign manager for Nancy Hogan to serving as communications director for Grant Cochran. I believed in Nancy and everything her campaign was built on, but when she lost, I decided I still wanted to work in SGA and try to make a positive impact on our campus. Despite working for his opponent, Grant allowed me the opportunity to serve as SGA Communications Director.

I could never have imagined what all would happen in the last nine months. First the deadly tornado of April 27 hit the Tuscaloosa area. During one of the darkest moments in the history of the University of Alabama, students acted as beacons of light to those in need. Then the disappointing allegations of irregularities with First Year Council applications forced SGA to recommit itself to transparency and openness. Amid all of the hardships this year presented, I learned so much about myself and what it means to be a student at the University of Alabama.

Much-needed progress will most certainly come to student organization seating, campus voting practices and race relations. Despite what others write, our campus administrators do care for each student. If you do not believe me, email any UA administrator, and I guarantee that they will be more than willing to help you. Progress is definitely taking place on this campus, but what more can be done?

On a campus rooted in tradition, progress takes time. Foundational changes do not happen overnight, and people do not change their mindsets over the course of a month. Progress takes considerable time, but I am confident that our campus is moving forward. Barriers that stood when I walked on this campus three years ago are slowly disappearing.

If I have learned anything during my three years it is this – set a goal for yourself and fight for it. Set the bar high and try to reach it. Whether it is in academics, athletics or relationships, always try to better yourself and our campus. Do one thing every day to make a difference because the University of Alabama will always be your University, and we only get one chance to experience it.

I hope my children follow in my footsteps and attend this University, but I know the UA they find will be somewhat different from the one we currently experience. I know we will still have the best football team in the country, but I believe that our student body will take an active role in the democratic process and vote in campus-wide elections. I know we still have one of the strongest greek systems in the country, but I believe that my son or daughter can be in an organization with a member who may not have the same color skin as they do. I know campus will still be home to thousands of bright students eager to make a difference, but I am confident we will do a better job of providing every student with the tools they need to be successful.

This sounds like a make believe world to many, but it’s not. This campus is and will always be greater than one or two individuals. Students come and go every year, but the actions of single individuals do make a difference. I am proud of the progress our campus has made in the last few years, and I am thankful to each and every individual who helped to make the last three and half years possible.

Seth Morrow is a senior majoring in political science and communications studies.