Better fast food choices important for students

Young adults, namely those ages 20 to 29, take in 40 percent of their daily calories away from home. A recent research article published by the American Dietetic Association sought to determine the different types of restaurants frequently visited by young adults and investigate their association with total caloric intake and overall weight status.

Fast food restaurants, more specifically those that served burgers and fries and those that served subs or sandwiches, showed to be the most frequently visited away-from-home restaurants for young adults. The results also showed that those who frequently dined at burger-and-fries restaurants where more likely to be overweight or obese and have a low intake of fruits, vegetables, fiber and whole grains.

Dining at sub or sandwich shops had no correlation with weight, but was associated with a higher intake of total energy, total fat, saturated fat and sodium.

Most college and graduate students do not have the time, money or cooking skills to prepare a nutritious meal every day and therefore resort to eating away from home. Encouraging healthier choices at these fast food restaurants could prevent excessive fat and calorie intake and support a healthy weight all without costing time or money. Here are a few tips to bring with you when dining out:

Be aware of portion sizes: Most burgers and fries restaurants have over the top portions of fries and beef. For example, Five Guys Burgers and Fries gives customers an entire brown bag full of fries. That is too much! Sharing one bag of fries among four or five friends or taking a single handful out for a more individualized portion can help cut down on calories and fat.

When choosing a burger, go for one patty versus two or three. Skip the mayonnaise, and load up on veggies if you can. Lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles – the works! These vegetables provide more flavor, texture and nutrients. Also, resist the urge to super size your meal. More is not always better.

Use your voice: Speak up and ask for healthier options. Even though the healthier options might not be widely advertised, most fast food restaurants are making a move to provide healthier side items and whole wheat buns, so don’t be afraid to speak up and ask for figure-friendly options. Use your voice to customize your meal in a healthier light. Asking for extra veggies, lighter sauces, a fruit side item or a whole-wheat bun/sub roll are great ways to increase nutrient intake and decrease calories and fat.

Do your homework: Technology comes in handy at this point. Doing a little research before going out to eat can provide quick insight into the dietary composition of menu items. Most fast food and full-service restaurants provide nutritional information for all menu items on their website. Taking five minutes prior to going out and checking these websites can assist in making an informed, lower fat, lower calorie food choice.