Students should respect environment

By Ethan Chavers

Due to the lack of concern on the part of UA students, the areas around the dorm buildings have been covered with trash and litter. It concerns me that the students of The University of Alabama, students that excel in so many areas, can fall so short of the standard when it comes to environmental cleanliness.

I am ashamed to walk around campus and see all the trash left lying around. The University of Alabama plays host to thousands of visitors every week – visitors who see the trash and develop an opinion of the standards of the University and the type of people who attend it.

It is embarrassing. The University staff does a great job of cleaning up, but they cannot get it all. It must be noted that the staff is not here to clean up after us. They are not our maids.

Students should take a little more pride in the appearance of their home away from home. There are trashcans in convenient locations around the dorms; therefore, there is no excuse for trash on the ground and in the bushes. The extra two seconds spent throwing away one’s garbage would not set a person back any significant amount or ruin one’s delicate schedule. Students should be punished if caught littering, and the University should put more emphasis on environmental cleanliness.

Ethan Chavers is a freshman majoring in chemical and biological engineering