Tuscaloosa Metro Animal Shelter needs your help

For all the clubs and service-learning courses available on campus, I am shocked to see how little volunteerism actually gets done, even with deserving nonprofits.

The lack of volunteers for the Tuscaloosa Metro Animal Shelter is causing animals to sit alone in their cages all day, every day. The only time they face human interaction is when the cages are cleaned, the water bowls are filled or they are taken out for veterinary care.

These dogs and cats quickly develop behavioral problems due to the lack of attention, endangering any potential adopters, whether they are students or families.

Shelter dogs can’t meet without barking, socialize without fighting or be left alone in a house without going stir crazy. Bama PAWS, a student organization that promotes animal welfare and volunteering at the shelter, has attempted to remedy this.

They have tried to raise awareness for the need of volunteers by hanging fliers throughout campus and advertising for people to join their service group. It is important for students to know how easy it is to get involved with the shelter, and a campus program that promotes this is just what the University needs.

We also need more advertising about the shelter itself – where it is and how everyone can get involved – to be made available to every cat and dog lover on campus.

By creating an informational booth, like Get On Board Day without all the chaos, I believe that Bama PAWS could rally many more students to go to the shelter and volunteer. Maybe in the future, we can go to shelters like it around the country and adopt our own pets, without fearing for the well-being of our houses whenever we leave them alone.

Shelby Manley is a freshman majoring in biology.