Harry Potter makes its last midnight premiere

It all came to an end Thursday night when the final installment of the Harry Potter series made its midnight debut across the nation.

At 9 p.m., the line of faithful fans started to become noticeable at the Cobb Theater in anticipation for the film. By 10 p.m., the line was wrapped around the building. The lines of wizards, muggles, and Death Eaters alike waited patiently as midnight grew near and the moment 10 years in the making began.

Terrell Walker, a Cobb Theater employee, said a few fans showed up at around 8 a.m. to be the first in line for the movie, and others began showing up throughout the day. The group of fans that came to see the movie included some dressed as Bellatrix Lestrange, Professor Umbridge, Luna Lovegood and even Big Al as Harry Potter.

Though this was the last time they would join together for a Harry Potter midnight premiere, the event was a joyous occasion for the moviegoers. Smiles and laughter filled the air as fans reminisced about their childhood memories growing up with the boy wizard. Like “The Goonies” to the generation before ours, Harry Potter is a big part of who we are. Now in college, many of the attendees began reading their first books in elementary school.

“This is basically our generation; it’s all been leading up to this,” said Maya Wade, a Harry Potter fan.

Many fans agreed that the movie exceeded expectations, and that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 boasted amazing action scenes, great graphics and heart-pounding moments.

The first of the franchise to be released entirely in 3D, the effects only enhanced the experience of the movie. There was silence in the theaters as fans were absorbed, one last time, in the wonderful world of Harry Potter. Sniffles were heard and tears were shed as heart-wrenching moments passed. By the end of the movie, fans had gotten what they were expecting and so much more.

“Sad, awesome and definitely amazing,” were some of the reviews that followed the premiere. Fans were asked what their plans were following the ending of the series and replies ranged from crying to seeing it again to getting a new hobby.

The movie grossed a record-breaking $43 million in midnight sales, breaking the record previously held by “Twilight: Eclipse.” According to Box Office Mojo, the movie also broke the record for best three-day opening with $169 million in domestic sales, a record that was previously held by the second Batman film, “The Dark Knight.” The last installment has grossed $499.5 million worldwide so far, putting it at number 169 on All Time Worldwide charts. The movie may soon join its predecessors in one of the top 30 spots.