2009 squad deserves more

In 1992, the Alabama Crimson Tide football team claimed the program’s 12th national title. That team was honored with a sparkling championship reception at Coleman Coliseum, a massive pep rally on the Quad and then a colorful and memorable parade.

I feel the 2009 national champions deserve nothing less, especially considering that this past season might be the greatest one in the program’s illustrious history. Nick Saban’s team not only claimed the school’s 13th national title and the first 14-0 season at the Capstone, but also had the school’s first Heisman Trophy winner, had a Butkus Award winner and had a record six first-team All-Americans. Alabama also claimed the national title at the site where the Crimson Tide’s football tradition was initially established: the Rose Bowl.

I am sure that Saturday’s celebration at Bryant-Denny Stadium will be very nice, and I will be there, but I also feel that this year’s Crimson Tide football team is being shortchanged by the University and the city of Tuscaloosa. The accomplishments of this year’s team should not be reduced to a one-hour event.

Stan Griffin is a 1993 graduate of the University. As a student, he was a sports reporter for The Crimson White.