We want you, John Davis

As a president and founder of UA TOMS, I am thankful to hear of Mr. John Davis and his opinions towards our One Day Without Shoes event that took place on April 5. First off, I would like to say thank you for your thoughts. As a new club on campus, feedback is always beneficial. We need new members like you to help make our club more successful on campus. It seems that you, John Davis, have the answers.

In response to your article, I agree with you to a certain extent. Maybe TOMS shoes have become a fashion trend, but it is because of what they stand for. But for the small chance you are right, the students are still supporting the One for One Movement whether they are aware of it or not, thus having a larger impact than just a local shoe drive.

However, the word awareness refers to having knowledge on a certain subject; becoming informed and alert.  That was our goal; to inform the students on what life would be like if we weren’t able to afford shoes.  Bringing awareness to this is how you get people to realize they are blessed and obligated to donate, as you mentioned in your article.

I think you, John Davis, are missing the point. Your “blunt” comments might be mistaken with that of ignorance. Although I’m glad to hear you think TOMS are attractive, it is safe to say that many people buy TOMS because of the One for One movement.  These “people” who buy them are probably aware of this, regardless of how expensive their sheets are.

As far as action is concerned, Mr. Davis, if you look around our campus you will see many boxes. UA TOMS has put on a shoe drive to donate gently used shoes locally that will last until the end of the semester. Please feel free to drop more of your Asics off at any of our shoe drive locations! Within a two-week span, we have already collected more than 50 pairs of shoes. Just sayin’.

With an overwhelming response to both One Day Without Shoes and our shoe drive, I hate to think you were uninformed on our events. To help get you more involved on a fabulous movement, you can email us at [email protected] and attend our group meetings. Mr. Davis, we would love to see you there. Please invite your friends that were uninformed as well.

As always, thanks so much for taking the time to write about One Day Without Shoes.  Any publicity is good publicity and we appreciate your help with spreading the movement.

Thank you John Davis.

Peace. Love. UATOMS.

Mary Lazarus is the president and founder of UA TOMS.