Are you serious?

In regards to John Davis’ column on UA participation in One Day Without Shoes, I’m a little confused. What exactly was his argument? He is a supposed TOMS supporter, yet he ranted about the company’s nationally-held awareness event. He likes the company and the shoe, but doesn’t understand the concept behind its publicity.

Mr. Davis, it sounds like you are the one falling for the fashion statement.

As the co-president of the UA TOMS student organization, I know that TOMS supporters are usually excited for this event and spreading the One for One movement. You can ask the 50+ students who voluntarily came up to us on April 5 to share why they were barefoot. (Glad to hear you saw more!)

The event was indeed for awareness, because people actually have to recognize that there is a problem before there can be a solution.

A TOMS shoe fact: In Ethiopia, approximately one million people are suffering from Podoconiosis, a debilitating and disfiguring disease caused by walking barefoot in volcanic soil.

One million people are walking barefoot on volcanic soil. Can you imagine?

After participating in the One Day Without Shoes event, I can definitely say that I am thankful I only had to (voluntarily) walk barefoot around campus for one day. The ground was cold, hard and dirty, and yeah I got a few cuts, but experiencing one day without shoes opened my eyes to the significance of this problem and how much I want to be a part of the change. Funny how awareness events can do that, initiate change.

I am sorry that you thought too highly of yourself not to participate. (But you’re all about the sacrifice, right?)

However, that attitude is apparent in your attempt to announce your community service record. For a guy who says he is charitable, you must not make that much of an effort to donate your time. SLPro lists a service project for which UA TOMS has partnered with United Way for our own local shoe drive that will continue until the end of the semester. We will count you in for volunteering at our first local shoe drop!

All in all, we only expected event coverage, but thank you for allowing us to continue spreading the movement!

Peace. Love. TOMS!

Kellie Gentry is a junior majoring in journalism.