DewPoint to debut this Monday

English honor society Sigma Tau Delta is presenting the inaugural issue of their literary journal, DewPoint, at a release party Monday night. The event will begin at 5:30 p.m. on Woods quad, and will feature readings from creative writing professor Michael Martone and several students whose work was accepted into DewPoint.

In case of rain, the event will be held in Room 301 in Morgan Hall.

“We are very grateful to have Michael Martone supporting us by beginning our release party with a reading,” said Meg Brandl, poetry editor for DewPoint and secretary of Sigma Tau Delta.

Brandl said DewPoint is different from most literary magazines in that it publishes creative and critical work.

“We really wanted to showcase all kinds of fantastic writing that UA students do and in addition to creative work the critical papers that students work so hard on for their English classes,” Brandl said.

She said the DewPoint staff is eager to debut the magazine, and the reading will be a picnic-style event, with audience members encouraged to bring a blanket or lawn chair, and with light refreshments provided.

“It’s been our baby all year and we really want to see it succeed,” she said.

Martone, who will be reading at the release, said it is exciting to see the energy of writers on campus.

“It is even more exciting to have a venue where that creative spirit is recorded,” he said.

Martone said he will most likely read a selection from a collection of stories that he has coming out in the fall.

“It is called ‘Four for a Quarter’ and it is made up of stories based on fours – the four winds, the four directions, the four chambers of the heart, the four seasons, the four horsemen, the four elements, the four questions,” he said.

Mia Bass, submissions editor of DewPoint and vice president of Sigma Tau Delta, said that, in addition to Martone, they hope to have numerous other undergraduate readers on Monday, out of the 37 who were featured in DewPoint.

“DewPoint will be on sale for the first time at the release party,” she said.  “Copies will be $10, and there will be other opportunities to purchase them throughout the week with tables set up both in the lobby of Morgan Hall and in the Ferguson Center.”

Bass said DewPoint is always looking for works of poetry, prose and critical papers and accepts manuscripts year round at [email protected].

“Our staff is also ever-expanding and if you are interested in joining the staff, or Sigma Tau Delta, you should swing by the release party on Monday at Woods quad from 5:30 to 8,” Bass said.