International prom celebrates multiple cultures

CW/ Keely Brewer

Jared Ferguson, Contributing Writer

Understanding and acceptance of other cultures is an important part of many campus organizations, and on Sunday night, the South Asian Culture Club, along with numerous cultural student organizations, celebrated with an international prom.

The prom was held in the ballroom at the Ferguson Center on The University of Alabama’s campus. This event, which was also started last year, is centered on students of multiple cultures coming together in an event that is meant to be a throwback to the more high school tradition of prom, with dances and catering.

The event, in addition to being internationally themed in decorations, also mixes in music from multiple different countries as well to celebrate said multiple cultures.

Nikhil Singh, a sophomore majoring in Biology and an organizer for the event, discussed the event’s origin.

“Last year was the first time we did this, and it was a director named Sikina’s idea,” Singh said. “I think she got the idea from different colleges.”

Singh also shared his view on the goal of this event.

“Generally we throw cultural events, and the theme for this event is international prom,” Singh said. “The decorations are internationally themed, with multiple flags of different nations. It is an opportunity for many international students who have never experienced prom to get that true prom experience, as well as let everyone else who has experienced it to relive that moment.”

Tejas Dinesh, a freshman double majoring in engineering and history who is a member of the Southeast Asian Student Association, discussed the diversity of the event.

“You see many people around the room who represent multiple cultural clubs across campus, whether they be Korean, Italian or the South Asian culture that I am a part of,” Dinesh said.

Dinesh also assured those who would not know specifics of the other cultures presented to not feel judged.

“While you are here, it is not like people are expecting you to be globally literate or anything like that,” Dinesh said. “The event is just about coming in with a good attitude and wanting to learn and have fun and to be accepted.”

The South Asian Culture Club also has held multiple other cultural events, the most recent being Diwali, an event celebrating Indian culture.

Jack Burns, a sophomore majoring in international studies who was also the prom king of the event the previous year, touched on the importance of involving one’s self in student organizations, like the South Asian Student Culture Club.

“I would say that getting involved on campus, and just going to events like these is an excellent opportunity to meet many different people and at the very least, you get free food as well,” Burns said. “At this event, you meet people, have a fun time, dance and things like that.”

Those who are interested in events like these are encouraged to follow cultural student organizations like the South Asian Culture Club, as they will continue this prom tradition next year.