Antiques store a hidden gem for old finds

Antique store leaves much to explore

Photo+Courtesy+of+Megan+Friend+

Photo Courtesy of Megan Friend

Megan Friend, Contributing Writer

While TusKaloosa PicKers is a treasure trove full of hidden gems, it’s a bit of a hidden gem itself. Located on Skyland Boulevard, the only thing visible from the outside is an open sign in the door, a “TusKaloosa PicKers” banner and some intriguing pieces of furniture. However, when one steps inside, it’s easy to see how much history the building holds.

A much bigger space than what one sees at first glance, the store is like a very large time capsule, filled to the brim with quirky objects. Amid a winding maze of never-ending artifacts to discover, a tall Nick Saban cutout stands beneath an antique barber shop sign and points onward, guiding each customer through the store.

The antiques come from a wide span of different states and decades, and each seller’s space seems to have more unique offerings than the last. Between signs, figurines, albums, furniture, old movie posters and strange little novelties,  there is something for everyone to pick up and examine a little closer.

Henry Pitts, a sophomore majoring in environmental science and a Tuscaloosa native, is excited to see the store take root in his hometown. Like many others, Pitts first became interested in antiques from the History Channel classic “American Pickers.”

“It’s awesome to see a new antique store in town, and one with such a variety of different styles and aesthetics throughout each space,” Pitts said. “I grew up watching ‘American Pickers’ with my dad, and walking through TusKaloosa PicKers makes me feel like I’m getting to live out one of my favorite shows.”

For students who love thrifting and finding great, one-of-a-kind finds in the clothing aisles, antiquing through a treasure trove of unique finds is right up their alley. Madeleine Spivey, a sophomore majoring in  English, said that for her, thrifting and antiquing go hand in hand when it comes to expressing yourself with the items around you.

“TusKaloosa PicKers has the atmosphere a corporate store lacks,” Spivey said. “You feel free to actually pursue your individuality and find pieces that fit your style, rather than subscribing to one specific designer. Thrifting is all about finding unique pieces you can’t find in average chain stores. TusKaloosa PicKers is just like that. As nice as glossy magazines can be when it comes to decorating a home, unique, funky and eclectic pieces bring a space together.”

TusKaloosa PicKers features not just antique furniture, but a host of hand-made artisan items – including a lamp made from an old-fashioned electric toaster – and students say it’s the perfect place to go. Wen Walsh, a senior majoring in mechanical engineering, pointed out that aside from aesthetic purposes, stepping into an antique store and stepping back in time can be a meaningful experience.

“Antiquing is one of the ways of trying to connect the past to present.” Walsh said. “Although most things are kept for aesthetics, it’s always exciting to find an antique that reminds you of an era you want to remember intentionally. It’s exciting a place such as this will be in Tuscaloosa because it will open up this niche hobby to a larger audience such as UA students and locals.”

If you’re not interested in finding something a few decades in or decorating your space, TusKaloosa PicKers has rows of artisan jewelry, clothes and snacks. At the very least, a pot of coffee brewing and free samples are right at the front door.

With new antiques coming in constantly from across the country, students say TusKaloosa PicKers guarantees an adventure whenever you feel like getting off campus and going on a hunt. Whether you want something cool to hang on a dorm wall, an old camera model or typewriter to fix up and put to use, or just a giant bear beer holder to put in a corner and start conversations about, Tuscaloosa now has a place for that, and it’s more than worth a stop in.