Jewish students support African Americans

In 1962, a Jewish Crimson White editor named Mel Meyer published an editorial advocating desegregation. In result, crosses were burned on the lawn of Zeta Beta Tau — the fraternity to which he belonged. As a former president of Zeta Beta Tau, as well as a Jewish student myself, I feel compelled to take a stand against hatred as Meyer did many years back.

We, the Jewish students at the University of Alabama, believe that all humans should be allowed to live their lives peacefully regardless of skin color, religion, sexual preference or nationality. Jews and African Americans have a long, shared history of persecution.

Yet, throughout this history, we have continued to align ourselves as allies, demanding that justice be awarded to all. In 1965, rabbis rallied alongside Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on his march from Selma to Montgomery. Likewise, 30 years prior, African-American presses had the conviction to report on Jewish persecution in Germany in a manner other papers did not.

So, keeping to tradition, on this day we stand beside our African-American friends once more. Further, it is disheartening that individual acts of ignorance can represent the state of Alabama, the University of Alabama, and our greek system. Yet throughout history, difficult situations have often been paired with great opportunities. Let’s not allow this one to slip away.

Alex Grodner is a senior majoring in management information systems and the co-president of Hillel.