More vegetarian options needed

In response to your article “Vegetarianism Offers Health, ‘Less Than Impressive’ On-Campus Options” (Feb. 9, 2011), I would like to compliment Allie Hulcher for speaking out about the lack of vegetarian options at the University. As Hulcher mentions, vegetarian options are more popular than ever, particularly among college students, for reasons ranging from health and environmental concerns to the clear cruelty to animals involved in raising and killing animals for food. A recent study by ARAMARK, a leading food-service provider, concluded that one in four college students is actively seeking out vegan options when he sits down to eat. In fact, there is already a fantastic vegetarian student group on campus, the UA Vegetarians, Vegans and Allied Community, which demonstrates the demand for meatless meals. For UA to disregard the concerns of that large a segment of its student body would be a regrettable error on its part.

Most students are horrified to discover that chickens have their beaks cut off when they’re only days old and that cows and pigs are often skinned and dismembered while still conscious. If these kinds of abuses were inflicted upon cats or dogs, it would result in felony cruelty-to-animals charges. Yet these practices are standard in an industry that refuses to make even the most basic improvements in the way animals are treated.

Thankfully, with so many delicious and cruelty-free dishes, such as vegetarian barbecue riblets and vegan pizza available at most grocery stores, and with chain restaurants like Denny’s and Ruby Tuesday’s adding delicious vegetarian and vegan dishes to their menus, it’s never been easier to boycott this kind of cruelty. Hopefully, UA Dining Services will follow suit as well. For more information, visit peta2.com to request a free vegetarian/vegan starter kit as well as stickers and a DVD.

Amelia Jensen serves as college campaigns assistant for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.