Racial controversy causes unnecessary campus division

Everyone on campus appears to be in a hurry to be identified as a champion of equality lately. So despite it not being exactly a popular idea, it should be noted that many of the editorials promoting equality, tolerance and the need for strict punishment fail to recognize how their arguments are actually somewhat hypocritical and internecine.

This is because the racial controversy at hand is now simply being used as ammunition to fire at the opposition, or to point out how morally superior one faction of campus is in relation to another. This does nothing but stoke the fire.

Maybe rather than only condemning this student for his mistake, it should be asked, “What led this student to make this mistake and what can be done to help him from making the same mistake again?” We all make mistakes, we all hold our own prejudices, we all say things we eventually regret, and we all have to live with the consequences of our actions.

Let me be the first to admit, I carry prejudices and stereotypes, and whether you would like to admit it or not, so do you. Anyone who proclaims they don’t is flat out lying.

Am I defending this student’s actions? Absolutely not, but before you hurl your next stone, remember this. John 8:7b says, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone.” For those of you already holding a stone, feel free to hurl it my way. I don’t care.

Jonathan Dallas Stein is a senior majoring in metallurgical engineering.