Facts: who needs them?

After reading “Senior Sports Reporter” Tony Tsoukalas’ article on recruiting Thursday, I couldn’t help but notice the inaccuracies of the article. Where shall I start? How about the misspelled name of Cyrus Kouandjio? Or as you spell it, Cyrus Jio.

Under Cyrus Jio’s [sic] picture reads, “Although Kouandjio has not sent in his letter of intent to Auburn, it seems unlikely he would change at this point.” Where did you hear or read that? In fact, the reports were just the opposite.

The reports from ESPN and Rivlas.com said, “He was physically sick and believed he made a mistake. Looks like Alabama will pick him up.” Did you ever read ESPN or Rivals.com? Did you even watch Signing Day? I won’t even mention Brent Calloway’s picture taking the place of Jeoffrey Pagan’s on Wednesday’s edition.

Listen, I’m not writing to point out one flaw, I’m writing because I’m tired of reading inaccuracies in a newspaper that prides itself as being one of the best school newspapers in the nation. In order to be a sports reporter, you must get your facts straight. Maybe Kouandjio will stick with Auburn, but reports from Wednesday afternoon said otherwise. The objective of a newspaper is to inform the public. The sports’ articles have failed to correctly inform the public this week. As an avid reader, that’s all I ask – correct information.

John McWilliams is a junior majoring in journalism and political science.