Register for Sunday Sales vote

We have yet another opportunity to be civically engaged. Throughout the fall semester, our campus has been active in the political life of our university and state. UA hosted a 2010 Gubernatorial Debate in September, allowing students to evaluate the candidates in a dynamic atmosphere. Voter registration drives sought to engage UA students in their civic right to vote to choose their representatives. Candidate campaigns looked to our campus as a source of votes. So while there’s no doubt that UA students are interested in the political process, the UA student body is now face-to-face with a referendum that will powerfully impact our community.

On February 22, Tuscaloosa residents will have the opportunity to vote on Seven Day Sales, a referendum that will allow the sale of alcohol on Sundays from noon to 9:30 p.m. in permitted venues.  But the time to act is now—registration ends February 11.

With The University reaching a student population of about 31,000, we constitute roughly thirty percent of the Tuscaloosa population. We represent a significant number of votes. The UA student voice is powerful, then, and we must take responsibility as residents who spend over half of each year in Tuscaloosa. This referendum must not be disregarded; it will directly impact our community and campus.

You may ask, “Am I eligible to vote?” If you are 18 years old, a United States citizen, and have been a student at The University for thirty days, you are eligible. If you are currently registered in another municipality, please consider registering locally.

Ready to register? Stop by the SGA office. We’ll walk you through the process, so you will be registered quickly and correctly. After you fill out your form, we will take it directly to the Tuscaloosa Board of Registrars.

Don’t miss the chance to register to vote before this Friday, February 11.

Grant Cochran is a junior majoring in biochemistry. He serves as SGA Vice President for External Affairs.