Revisiting the Capstone Creed

In response to last week’s editorial by Tray Smith concerning the lack of an Honor Code for the University, I would like to introduce our campus to a few things.

I want to thank Mr. Smith for bringing the Creed to the attention of campus as he has preempted the announcement of new plans for the Creed. The Office of Student Involvement and Leadership is preparing to re-launch a new series of programs that will help UA students better understand how the Capstone Creed is an integral part of their experience at the University.

This year’s celebration of the Capstone Creed will take place during the week of March 28 and will focus on building UA community and respect for the many ways students on our campus live and embody the Creed. I echo Mr. Smith’s frustration that the Creed seems to bloom once a year and vanish just as quickly. So many students already embody the values of the Creed, and the original students from the Student Leaders Council wanted to make sure that we instill these values in each successive generation of freshmen.

Starting this March we will make sure that the Creed isn’t just a document that hangs on a wall.  We will begin to take those students, faculty and staff that live the Creed each day and highlight their work all year long. We will make sure that the Capstone Creed and its ideals are an expectation for all students as we move our campus forward, and as we grow not just in numbers but also in our roles as citizens of a global society. Please join us in celebrating the Capstone Creed all year and follow us on Twitter @CapstoneCreed.

Joshua Burford is the coordinator of Student Development Programs in the Office of Student Involvement & Leadership.