CW objective about Ron Robinson

In a Jan. 31 letter to the editor, a student wrote that he was “disgusted” by what he perceived to be a lack of objectivity in an article that had appeared in the CW on Jan. 21. This accusation is completely baseless and blatantly untrue.

The article in question was about Ron Robinson, President of the Young America’s Foundation, speaking during a College Republicans meeting. The article quoted the statements that Mr. Robinson made, which one would expect. However, because of this, the writer of the letter stated that a “counterview” should have been presented to Mr. Robinson’s opinions, which I find completely absurd. The opinions expressed in the article are those of Mr. Robinson, not (necessarily) those of the article’s author, who did their job admirably and merely reported what was said. Contrary to what the letter writer seems to believe, this is, by definition, objective reporting. There would have been no purpose whatsoever in finding an individual of a politically liberal ideology with nothing to do with Mr. Robinson coming to speak to give a “counterview.” I fully support debate; in fact, I’d go as far to say that I thrive on it. But this was a news article, not an opinions piece.

Adam Rawlins is a sophomore majoring in political science.