Honor societies striving for diversity

There is less than one week remaining until applications for honor societies are due (Feb. 6). There are many benefits to membership in honor societies, including service, networking and scholarship opportunities. But this year, honor societies are striving to add another element to the mix-diversity.

Honor societies exist not only to award members for previous accomplishments, but also to foster continued achievements. One of the most valuable ways this occurs is by bringing people from different backgrounds together to achieve common goals. For this to occur, members need to be from various sectors of campus, representing diverse majors and campus organizations. We need you to apply to make this a reality.

Still, some people might be apprehensive about applying. As the selections chair for Mortar Board, a senior honorary, I want to ensure applicants that the selections process will be conducted with the utmost level of integrity. All applicants are given due consideration and much time has been spent to create an ethical system for candidate selection. The new classes of honor societies will represent the entire University population, not just select groups.

Now, I charge you to make one of the best decisions of your college career, apply to be a member of an honor society. Ask yourself these questions: Do you want to serve the University and Tuscaloosa community? Do you want to apply for scholarships? Do you want to network with other students? Do you have something unique to contribute? If so, there is a place for you in an honor society.

This year, as the names of new inductees are read, I hope to see a few names I recognize, but also many that I don’t. I hope to meet the new class and see unlimited opportunities for next year. But most of all, I want to see a dedicated membership of diverse individuals.

Mallory Meissner is a senior majoring in finance and dance and the vice president of Mortar Board.