Little Willie’s hosts fundraiser

Local bar Little Willie’s will host a fundraiser this Saturday for the upcoming Ladyfest Deep South Festival. The benefit will begin at 7 p.m. and costs $5 for students and youth and $10 for adults.

Two films, “Nobody Knows My Name” and “Say My Name” will be screened at the event.

“Nobody Knows My Name” was originally chosen because it features women in hip-hop and the struggles they face to be recognized within the community. It was also directed by Rachel Raimist, an assistant professor in the department of telecommunication and film.

“‘Say My Name,’ directed by Nirit Peled, follows up ‘Nobody Knows My Name’ 10 years later,” said Maigen Sullivan, co-founder and executive of Ladyfest Deep South.

Sullivan said there will also be a silent auction with items donated from local coffee shop Chloe’s Cup, Theatre Tuscaloosa, Image Maker’s Salon and the Left Hand Soap Company.

“The money earned will go toward paying for venues, permits and other necessities of setting up and running the multi-venue festival,” Sullivan said.

A free-to-attend afterparty will be hosted at 1 Meador Drive in Tuscaloosa following the benefit. The bands Dead Balloons, Younger Siblings and Edifice Wrecks will be featured at the party.

“By hosting Ladyfest’s aftershow, I hope to introduce and unite two separate spheres of Tuscaloosa’s counter-culture,” said David Allen, host of the afterparty that will take place at the venue known as “Baby Haus.”

The festival was conceived by Sullivan and Lydnsey Adkins, graduate students in the department of women’s studies.

“We knew we wanted it to be centered on women and girls,” Sullivan said. “We also knew that we not only wanted musical performances but a full-on festival including art, crafts, food and workshops.”

The first annual Ladyfest Deep South 2011 will take place Friday, April 15 at L&N Train Station with Atlanta hip-hop duo KIN4LIFE. Saturday will consist of performances and workshops taking place in different venues downtown, and the actual festival with booths and exhibits will take place on Sunday.

Public Relations and Social Networking Executive Jessica Trull said the festival will benefit the whole of Tuscaloosa.

“Ladyfest Deep South wants to bring a new atmosphere to Tuscaloosa, the University and the greater Deep South,” Trull said. “We want to acknowledge the amazing women all over the Deep South, showcase their talents and make their voices heard.”

Ladyfest Deep South is a non-profit festival, and any money will be donated directly back to the community.

“All proceeds will be donated to organizations that support the welfare of women and girls and promote local art/craft/DIY culture, organic farming and meaningful activism—with an emphasis on supporting underserved or underrepresented groups,” Trull said.

Ladyfest Deep South is still looking for talent and volunteers for the festival in April. Contact [email protected] for more information.