Bama to feature area photography

In the second floor gallery at the Bama Theatre in downtown Tuscaloosa, the work of Alabama photographers line the walls for the 8th annual Double Exposure Juried Photograph Exhibit.

The exhibit, presented by the Arts and Humanities Council of Tuscaloosa County, features the work of the finalists from the 2010 Double Exposure competition.

The contest, divided into an adult division and a junior division, had about 244 initial entries, which have been narrowed to 42 adult entries and 29 junior entries. The finalists’ images will be displayed in the Junior League Gallery on the second floor of the Bama Theatre for one month.

The exhibit will open with a reception on Jan. 23, and the gallery is open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with free admission.

“This is always an important project of the Arts Council,” said Kevin Ledgewood, who is in charge of publicity for the Arts and Humanities Council. “This exhibit offers the opportunity to showcase local talents, as all the photographers are from Alabama.”

The Double Exposure contest and exhibit is the only photography contest specifically for Alabama residents.

Despite the photographs being from Alabama locals who are not considered “professional” photographers, Ledgewood believes the level of talent in the gallery may surprise some people.

“The photos submitted on both levels are very advanced,” Ledgewood said. “And the subject matter is diverse, with photos ranging from people to landscapes and everything else in between.”

Prizes for the finalists and winners are being sponsored by two local businesses, Harrison Gallery for the adult division and American Shutterbug for the junior division.

Rodger Champion, owner of American Shutterbug, has been involved with the contest since day one.

“The main reason we sponsor the junior division is to continue to get kids interested in the arts,” Champion said. “It’s important that art and photography carries on in the schools of Alabama.”

And while the competition has continued to grow in its eight years of existence, Champion said notable changes have occurred along the way.

“When the competition first started, digital cameras were just starting to appear. Now, everything submitted is digital,” Ledgewood said. “With all the use of photo editing, it has become an art thing as much as it is a photography thing.”

The junior division’s prize demonstrates these changes in photograph technology. First place will receive a Canon EOS Rebel digital camera, as well as a camera bag and kit.

With entries from all over the state, Champion remains positive about the future of photography in Alabama schools.

“The work submitted is outstanding,” Champion said. “These students really have a lot of talent.”

Both divisions remained competitive throughout the two rounds, which Ledgewood believes makes the final exhibit strong, yet diverse. He said he encourages the community to take advantage of this opportunity to view glimpses of Alabama through photography.

“This has come to represent what we [The Arts and Humanities Council of Tuscaloosa County] believe is the best in the state,” Ledgewood said.  “And you know, you would be surprised how much talent is in the state of Alabama.”

For more information about this exhibit and other Arts Council events, visit tuscarts.org.