Buzzy awards season films and where to see them locally

By Caroline Smith | Staff Reporter

The glitz and glamour of award season is far more captivating for those familiar with the movies up for the big prizes. It’s easy to get lost in the sea of films that were released in 2017, so below is a list of films that have made a splash on the big screen and will no doubt be praised at upcoming awards shows. Watching these movies is sure to make anyone an informed and engaged viewer of the SAGs (which were Sunday night), BAFTAs, Oscars and other programs. They’re all showing regionally, which gives you time to check them out before the Academy Awards on March 4. 

Call Me by Your Name

In this poignant coming-of-age tale, 17-year-old Elio Perlman (Timothée Chalamet) falls for the charms of doctoral student Oliver (Amie Hammer), an intern for Elio’s father. This melancholy love story takes place in idyllic northern Italy during a dreamy, golden summer, and the setting is a perfect backdrop for such a heartfelt picture. The film has already been nominated for countless awards, garnering the most buzz for best actor, best supporting actor and best motion picture. The film is showing at AMC Summit 16 at The Summit in Birmingham, Regal Trussville Stadium 16 and AmStar 14 Alabaster. 

I, Tonya

“I, Tonya” tells the scandalous true story of Olympic figure skater Tonya Harding (Margot Robbie) and her association with the attack on her fiercest competitor, Nancy Kerrigan. Told from the viewpoints of several unreliable narrators and splashed with action and dark comedy, this movie aims to grab the audience’s attention and hold on for all 119 minutes. Allison Janney, who plays Harding’s mother, won the Golden Globe for her role as a supporting actress. “I, Tonya” has also been nominated in such categories as best actress, best motion picture, and best original screenplay. The film is currently playing at the AMC Summit 16 and AMC Patton Creek 15.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

This jet-black comedy/drama focuses on the story of Mildred Hayes (Frances McDormand), the livid, frustrated mother of a girl who was raped and murdered. The movie picks up when, months after the death of her daughter, the police have made no headway in their investigation of the case. Mildred paints three billboards on the edge of town calling out the local police chief for his incompetence, which leads to a great deal of drama within the town. This picture has already taken home the Golden Globe for best motion picture (drama), best screenplay, best actress and best actor. It has also been nominated for best director and best score. It can be viewed at AMC Summit 16 and Regal Trussville Stadium 16.

The Shape of Water

Elisa (Sally Hawkins) is a mute who works in a high-security government laboratory in Cold War era America. When she and her co-worker, Zelda (Octavia Spencer), happen upon a creature that appears to be part-man, part-fish while cleaning the lab, Elisa begins to form a forbidden relationship with it that sets forth a wild chain of events. The picture was awarded the Golden Globe for best director and best original score while also being nominated for best motion picture, best actress, best actor, best supporting actress, and best screenplay, among others. It is being shown at AMC Summit 16 and AMC Lee Branch 15.

The Post

“The Post” is based on the true story of The Washington Post’s publisher, Katharine Graham (Meryl Streep), and editor, Ben Bradlee (Tom Hanks), as they risk prison time and the ruin of their company by publishing long-held government secrets. The film is directed by Steven Spielberg, and it marks the first time Streep, Hanks, and Spielberg have come together to work on a project. The film has been nominated for best motion picture, best director, best screenplay, best actor, best actress, and best original score. The Post is playing at Cobb Theatres Hollywood 16 Tuscaloosa, Phoenix Theatres The Edge 12, AMC Vestavia Hills 10, AMC Summit 16, AMC Patton Creek 15, AMC Lee Branch 15, Regal Trussville Stadium 16, and Premiere Cinema 14 Tannehill.