Where artists and writers get published at UA

By Caroline Smith | Staff Reporter

Publishing your work, whether creative or academic, is a great way to build your resume, get your name out to the public sphere and boost your confidence as an artist or writer. For many students, the idea of getting published may seem far-fetched or too difficult to try, but The University of Alabama and Tuscaloosa offer a multitude of accessible avenues for students to get their work published. Below is our list of local outlets to which students can submit their creative works. 

Marr’s Field Journal

The Marr’s Field Journal accepts submissions in undergraduate poetry, prose, dance, theater, art and music composition for its publication. The journal is available for free online and sells a hard copy that can be ordered on request. The deadline for submission this year is Dec. 15, and the submission form can be found on the website, mfj.ua.edu. 

The Capstone Journal of Law and Public Policy

For those more interested in academic writing than creative writing, The Capstone Journal of Law and Public Policy is new on campus this year. As an undergraduate law review, it seeks to publish legal articles and essays. Submissions will be open soon, but a specific deadline has not yet been set. 

Dewpoint

Dewpoint is a literary journal published by the English Honors Society, Sigma Tau Delta. It takes submissions in creative prose, poetry, and critical work from undergraduate UA students. The deadline for submission is Feb. 1, and students can submit their work via the Dewpoint email [email protected]. 

Black Warrior Review

The Black Warrior Review is the oldest continuously-run literary journal run by graduate students in the country. It publishes nonfiction, fiction, comics, poetry and art. Artists featured in the journal have won prestigious awards, such as the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award. The Review reads submissions from Dec. 1 – March 1 and June 1 – Sept. 1. Sample issues are available for $12 and year-long subscriptions cost $20. 

The University of Alabama Press

The University of Alabama Press publishes academic works that are believed to make academic research excel. They print in both hard copy and electronic formats, and they strive to promote understanding of the culture of our region. An editorial board comprised of representatives from various public universities within the state oversees the press. To order books, visit the press’ website: www.uapress.ua.edu.