Keeping your New Year’s resolutions

With each new year comes a fresh start. For those of us at the University, this means new classes, books and teachers. Professors may have new students, classrooms or curricula.

But besides the anticipated academic turnover, 2011 gives every individual the chance to start over with the goal of creating a new and improved individual. This refreshing sense of new beginnings motivates people of all ages to make resolutions, with weight loss and physical fitness topping the majority of lists.

Whether your resolution is to lose weight or simply get fit, it can be hard to stay on track. But it is possible. A few simple steps can lead to not only a lasting resolution, but also to a healthier life altogether.

1) Take a personal inventory — Be honest with yourself. Look back on the past year and note the areas of your health that have taken a back seat. It may be a lack of exercise, eating too much fast food, or not drinking enough water.

2) Set mini, measurable goals — The generality of a goal to lose 20 pounds may lead to a loss of motivation if progress is not seen quickly. Today’s “quick fix” mindset feeds off of noticeable progress. Set small sub-goals and move on once those are reached. With the aforementioned goal in mind, a sub-goal would be to lose two pounds a month until the ultimate goal is reached. If the end goal is to improve physical fitness, aim to make a healthy lifestyle change each week. Examples include taking the stairs at work, drinking eight glasses of water a day, or including a fruit or vegetable at each meal. Focus on one goal each week. Small, specific goals add up over time and once they are achieved, drive us to continue on to the finish line.

3) Write your goals down — Once your mini, measurable goals are set, set them in stone. This makes it real. Put it somewhere where you will see it every day as a reminder of the contract you made to take care and improve your health.

4) Get your friends involved — A person is more likely to stick to something if they are not in it alone. Friends provide motivation and accountability and keep it fun. Group exercise classes are a great option. Healthy dinner night is also a way to socialize while creating new and original healthy dishes.

5) Get moving! — Physical activity is the most important thing that a person can engage in to improve their health. Exercise decreases levels of stress, anxiety and depression, improves mood and aids in the loss or maintenance of weight. The numerous benefits of physical activity and exercise can help jumpstart any health resolution. Get moving now!

Every person has different ideas and objectives when it comes to improving their health and wellness. Incorporating these simple steps into your own individualized resolution will help generate the results wanted and expected.