Secret places to study in Tuscaloosa

The Patio at 
Reese Phifer

A secret study location in plain sight is the patio outside of Reese Phifer Hall. With several tables and a view of the corner of the Quad, the Reese Phifer patio is a well-positioned place to study, without the student overflow or the mundane library atmosphere. This patio is far enough from the 
hustle and bustle of classes to be relaxing, while still just a few steps away from classes. The sounds of the outdoors and sidewalk passersby makes for a white noise that can keep you zoned in for hours.

Third Floor of the 
Ferguson Center

Within the Ferguson Center, both the third floor and the great hall
 located opposite the food court make for great study spots. Despite the 
thousands of students that flow through the food court, these areas are quiet and tend not to be overcrowded throughout the day. A slew of power outlets are available, as well as close proximity to food and coffee.

FIVE Bar Coffee Shop

One secret study spot located far off campus in Downtown Tuscaloosa is the FIVE Bar coffee shop. This coffee shop is open on weekdays and Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. With comfortable couches, long tables and assorted coffee-shop treats, FIVE Bar is a great place to go if you’re ready for a break from campus. Additionally, FIVE Bar is a good place to study with a group that won’t get in the way of others’ focus.

The RiverWalk

When the weather allows, fresh air can make studying far more relaxing. When a class requires you to read your textbook or an assigned reading, sitting in an ENO by the Black Warrior River can give you an advantage on your focus. Sitting outside and away from the intense atmosphere of the library can help you hone in on what you need to be studying and study it well. The RiverWalk offers a way to take a break from studying and simply just relax and sit by the river. Taking a minute to relax between long bouts of studying is important in avoiding stress and staying sane.

The Coaches Statues at the Walk of Champions

What better way to study for success than to study in the shadow of champions? Along the Walk of Champions, where the legendary coaches of Alabama’s past (and present) stand tall, there is ample room to sit on the grass and study. This 
out-of-the-ordinary study location is one that not many college students in the 
country can claim to have, so make sure to take advantage.