Texting a major distraction

I sit in class Monday through Thursday and always see at least one student texting during a lecture. While the instructor is talking, I can hear click, click, click, click, click and click. I have even been in a Yoga class and the instructor had to stop and ask a student to put up their cell phone. I know Yoga makes you more flexible, but seriously.

Cell phones have become a major distraction. Cell phones are so addictive some students have coined the phrase “crackberry.” They are not just used to make calls; they are used to check emails, the weather, Facebook statuses and BCS standings. Cell phones are versatile and show no signs of decreasing in popularity.

Along with popularity and versatility comes notoriety. Teenagers as well as adults have been found guilty of talking and texting while driving. There are enough distractions on the road without purposefully adding another.

With the intrusion now in the classroom, where will it end? There are laws in many states about using cell phones while driving. It is only a matter of time before there are policies concerning cell phone usage in the classroom. It doesn’t have to go that far. I implore all college students to respect the classroom and their classmates.

Shenique Monique Milton is a second year grad student in secondary education

Shenique Monique Milton is a second year grad student in secondary education.