A course on evolution should be required for every UA student

The article ‘Evolution alternative should be taught’ by Ben Friedman the Oct. 25, 2010 Crimson White shows why college students should be required to take a general course in evolution. Friedman attempts, but fails, to promote creationism as a valid alternative to evolution by arguing that creationism is popular and thus should be given its fair share of classroom time. The next installment by Friedman attempts to show the “scientific” evidence for creationism. I simply want to dispel a few common misconceptions that were evident in the original article and to encourage students to actually take a course in evolution before they argue against something about which they know little.

The hallmark of an education is an appreciation for knowledge. In particular, a college education should be designed to give students a broad liberal arts background, producing graduates committed to critical thinking, ethical reasoning and social responsibility. Science is one part of this education, and evolution is perhaps the most important branch of science for the educated layperson.

Biologists describe evolution as both a theory and a fact. In common parlance, the term “theory” means simply “a guess.” But to scientists, “a theory” is not a “guess,” but the best-supported statement explaining the operation of the natural world. Major “theories” in science include evolution, atoms, the “germ theory” of disease, gravity, relativity, quantum electrodynamics and plate tectonics. The theory of evolution is also a fact because it’s supported by evidence from multiple fields of study including genetics, geology, biogeography, paleontology and molecular biology. There’s simply no doubt that life evolved over billions of years and continues to do so today.

Arguing that creationism should be taught as a valid alternative to evolution—presumably in biology classes—simply because many American citizens hold a biblical view of the creation of the world, is not only unconstitutional but dishonest. Judge John E. Jones in the infamous Dover Trial of 2005 ruled that intelligent design was “a religious view, a mere re-labeling of creationism, and not a scientific theory,” and he barred the teaching of intelligent design in biology classrooms. However, to teach creationism in the context of the history of scientific thought is legitimate, for it provides students with an understanding of the process of science and demonstrates that through debate, reason and evidence, good ideas win (evolution) and bad ones lose (creationism). Moreover, since creationism has been disproven, it’s simply dishonest to teach it as a valid theory of biology. If you want to do that, then you must also teach alchemy alongside chemistry, astrology alongside astronomy, and Christian Science in medical schools.

Unfortunately, University of Alabama students who attended high school in our state are at a disadvantage, relative to students from states where K-12 science standards are significantly higher. These standards were ranked by the National Center for Science Education in 2009, and Alabama received an F- and a ranking of 50 out of 50 – the worst state in the nation in the quality of its science standards. Sadly, Alabama is the only state in the country with an evolution disclaimer in all high-school biology textbooks. Imagine having a disclaimer in our physics or chemistry textbooks, warning the students that the existence of atoms is “only a theory.”

If you’re interested in really understanding evolution, and you should be, there are many courses at the University of Alabama that incorporate evolutionary theory. A new Evolutionary Studies minor has been approved and will be housed in the Department of Anthropology, directed by Dr. Christopher Lynn (Anthropology) and Dr. Leslie Rissler (Biological Sciences). Other courses include Introduction to Evolutionary Studies (ANT 150) offered next spring, Principles of Biological Evolution (BSC 220) offered for the first time in 2010-2011, Evolution (BSC 483) offered every spring, and Advanced Evolution and the Big Questions (a newly proposed course).

In addition, Alabama Lectures on Life’s Evolution is a multidisciplinary lecture series now in its fifth year, designed to improve the public’s understanding of evolution. The next visitor is Dr. Hopi Hoekstra from Harvard, who will present “From Darwin to DNA: How organisms adapt to their environments” on Dec. 2 at 7:30 p.m. in the Biology Auditorium. The study of evolution is not evil or necessarily antithetical to religion, but it will definitely expand your worldview – and that’s the hallmark of a good education.

Leslie J. Rissler is an Associate Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences.