Literary magazine hosts open mic night

The University’s undergraduate literary magazine Marr’s Field Journal will host their fourth annual Rock N Roll Over in Your Grave Open Mic Night on Sunday from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Ferguson Game Room.

All undergraduate musicians, poets, actors, writers and other performing artists are invited to perform.

“We want to give undergraduates a chance to perform and show off what they’ve been working on,” said Laura Teichmiller, a junior majoring in psychology and the editor of Marr’s Field Journal.

The décor for the open mic night will be Halloween-themed, complete with pumpkins, a weird manikin and crazy lights, she said. Prior to the show, Marr’s Field Journal staff members will also sell Halloween-themed baked goods as well as the newest edition of the journal, which finished printing in August. All proceeds will go to funding future journals.

So far, several musicians and writers have expressed interest in performing, Teichmiller said. One student is scheduled to read excerpts from a short story. Another will read poetry.

Rebecca Marshall, a junior majoring in digital media and the art editor of the journal, will be playing guitar and singing some original songs, and she expects a lot of acoustic pieces from other musicians, too.

Anyone interested in participating in the open mic night should email Marr’s Field Journal at [email protected] with the names of the performers and a short description of the performance, preferably by Sunday at noon.

“But we won’t deny anyone access to the stage if they show up and we have time to let them perform,” Teichmiller said. “It’s a great atmosphere. People really get into it.”