So you think you can study better at the library

“If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.” These wise words were spoken by one of the greatest philanthropists of our time, Mother Teresa. But don’t worry; this is not another article about war or peace or even a sad attempt at world politics. Quite frankly, I’m bored by it all. Even the smallest article devoted to taxes, Congress or some man whose name looks like my nine month old daughter banged it out on the keyboard lulls me to sleep in no time. All I want to know is if I will have a job when I graduate and when the troops are coming home.

No, this article touches on a subject that is much more near and dear to my heart, a pastime of mine for many years now and hopefully yours too: studying in the library. Growing up I was always taught that a library was the epitome of silence and intellect. If one were to speak it should be in a whisper, so that others would not be disturbed. Apparently the inhabitants of Rodgers Library did not get that memo.

The library is not a social club. I understand that you have a life outside of your intro to biology class. Get over it. We all do.

Not all of us, however, have the audacity and downright disrespect for our peers to broadcast that life for all of Rodgers Library as if it were the latest breaking entertainment news and you were Ryan Seacrest himself.

Perhaps if it were presented in a more Joel McHale-esque sort of way, it wouldn’t be so obnoxious. But I doubt it. So please, don’t bring your loud phone calls or group discussions to the main area of the library. Go outside to call your roommate who hasn’t paid last month’s rent. No one is going to steal your computer — all your junk is there. Move your group meeting into one of the several rooms designated for just that very thing. Wow, what a concept.

Strangely enough, the students of Rodgers Library are not the only offenders. The librarians seem oblivious to students trying to study in peace. Silence cannot be expected from the students if it is not demonstrated by those who are in charge.

Whose idea was it to give tours of the library during midterms anyway? Great move. Unfortunately, in this case, the fish stinks from the head. Maybe we need someone in the library who will not be afraid to ask others to quiet down.

Bruno Business Library does not have this problem. Perhaps it is the difference in the types of students from the east side of campus to the west. Business students are more task-oriented. Science students are more laid-back. Whatever the difference is, we all have one common goal: do our best and graduate.  So whatever library you call your home away from home, do not forget about your extended family that lives there, too.

If you are feeling convicted as you read this article, do not worry; we have all done this once or twice before. It is those who read this without conviction — or who do not read this at all — who are most likely at fault.

This has nothing to do with forgetting where you are and who is around you, but has everything to do with selfishness, arrogance and inequality. If you happen to be one of those who are disruptive in the library — or in class or anywhere for that matter — you adopt on some level of thinking the idea that you are better than those around you. Your conversation, your exam, your hilarious Facebook status is more important than any other person in the entire room. Is that what you really think? I certainly hope not.

Humility is a characteristic that our generation has left in the dust and sees as unimportant. Yet without it we are nothing. We should do nothing out of selfishness or empty arrogance. Someone who is truly humble will regard others as superior to himself and think more highly of others than of his own self. Most people hear the word humility and think of it as a weakness. Humility, in fact, is incredible strength under control. We all need to turn our selfishness into self-control and arrogance into humility. Let’s start by taking our calls outside the library.

Crystal Skinner is an alumna studying post-baccalaureate pre-med biology.