Outdoor Escapes: Six places to get outside in and around Tuscaloosa

Alabama summers are almost unbearable, whether it is the excruciating humidity or the nearly-100 degree heat index. But before you know it, August will be at an end and cooler weather will be on the way. Here are a few great places around Tuscaloosa to enjoy the fall by yourself or with your friends.

Lake Nicol

Lake Nicol is known for it’s clear, serene waters. On an especially sunny day you can find dozens of students soaking up the rays, but it is often is a low key place to go hang out.

With the lake only being a 20-25 minute drive from campus it makes it a hot spot for people to relax. Lake Nicol is notable for its cliffs, despite the clear signs that say “no cliff jumping” at the entrance of the trail.

Riverwalk

Looking for another geo filter for your artsy Snapchat story? Look no further than The Park at Manderson Landing. The Riverwalk is the closest outdoor walking area that is not on campus.

Located only less than half a mile from Robert E. Witt Housing and Residential Communities, it provides a way for students living on campus to feel as if they are getting out in nature. One area along the Riverwalk is popular among UA students due to its perfect riverfront access for fishing and ENOing.

The University of Alabama Arboretum

This is perfect for all the tree-huggers at the University. The Arboretum is a space where students and researchers study flora, but it’s open for the public to visit and take in the wide variety of plant life. The Arboretum is 60 acres and has over two miles of trails for visitors to walk, including two greenhouses.

Lake Lurleen State Park

Lake Lurleen consists of over 1,000 acres of land and a 250-acre lake. The park includes beach access, paddleboats and fishing piers among other activities.

Regardless if you are looking to take a leisurely walk or training for your next 10k there is a trail for you. Nine trails are located throughout the park and vary in level of difficulty. These paths are are open to both mountain bikers and hikers.

Marr’s Spring

The University of Alabama campus is filled with historical landmarks but one serves as a great spot to study. Located near ten Hoor Hall is an outdoor sitting area and the springs that once served as the main water supply for campus.

On days classes are in session, you can find many students passing through it as a shortcut to get to and from buildings. But during weekends the area is quiet and serves a place to do homework or read. Marr’s Spring can also be a nice Instagram photo op.

Tannehill Ironworks Historical State Park

Tannehill seems to be permanently stuck in a scene straight out of the Civil War and is rich with history. Located just under an hour away from The University of Alabama, Tannehill has five hiking trails, a museum and cabin rentals. Multiple events or festivals are held each month.