Hidden Gems of Tuscaloosa: Bama Lanes

The crash of bowling balls hitting pins, the squeak of shoes sliding across the floor, and the chatter of players complete the unmistakable atmosphere of Bama Lanes, located on the corner of 15th Street and Hackberry Lane.

With its close proximity to campus, Bama Lanes is home to 32 bowling lanes, as well as an arcade, a billiards room, and a pro-shop for more serious bowlers. Additionally there is a kitchen open every night and, for those that are 21, a full bar is included. Each night the lights go out for cosmic bowling for a classic glow-in-the-dark bowling experience.

Austin Boyd, an employee at Bama Lanes and a junior majoring in psychology at Shelton State Community College, said the alley has the most popularity with students. 

“When the college kids are in town we stay pretty busy. Every night all 32 lanes are going and as soon as one is freed up, another group walks in and takes their place,” Boyd said. “I would have to say Bama Lanes is extremely popular with college kids.”

Bama Lanes also has a variety of specials that change depending on the day of the week, according to Michelle Reece, who works the front desk at Bama Lanes. Reece said that specials typically occur on most weeknights. 

During “Monday Mayhem”, bowlers can purchase unlimited bowling and shoe rental for $10.89 after 8 p.m. Tuesday nights offer “$2 Tuesdays,” where every game is $2, all shoe rentals are $2, and Pabst Blue Ribbon beers are each $2. Thursday nights are “College Night”, where bowlers who bring a student ID will get $7 unlimited bowling and shoe rental, with $2 Pabst Blue Ribbon and $10 pizzas from 9:00 p.m. until close. On the weekends, “After Party Fridays” offer unlimited bowling for $10.89 and “Sunday Funday” offers game and shoe rentals for $2.50.

Bama Lanes is a budget-friendly place to bowl, hang out with friends and get good food. With bowling, a full kitchen, an arcade, and a full bar, there is always potential for an eventful night. With nightly specials and engaging activities, Bama Lanes is a hidden gem for those who are looking to do something different with their friends without having to break the bank.

“Bowling is a game that everyone can enjoy,” Boyd said. “It is made for all ages, and it doesn’t matter if you are the best of the best or the one who gutters more than the rest. It is just a fun time for everyone. I enjoyed going [to Bama Lanes] so much that I decided whenever a job opening opened up, I would apply, and now I have been working here for around seven to eight months and enjoy every day of it.”