Hangtime: ENO culture in Tuscaloosa

As the end of summer brings the new school year, it also brings more students outside to enjoy the Alabama weather. One activity that’s 
gaining popularity is something avid participants call hammocking or ENOing.

“I saw them on campus and when I would walk down by Riverwalk,” said Michael Harris, a 
 sophomore majoring in advertising. “During the fall there are always people along Riverwalk down past the second bridge. I thought it looked cool, and my roommate also had an ENO, so I just 
decided to buy one on a whim.”

An ENO is a hammock that folds into its own bag, making it easy for on-the-go access. The hammock also requires adjustable straps that are purchased separately from the hammock. To hang the
hammock, the user must find two trees with adequate spacing, tie the straps around the tree and then clip in the hammock.

“It takes one minute to set up or take down, so it is great as far as if the weather changes, 
Harris said.

As the popularity of hammocking has increased, hammocks have been banned on the University of Alabama campus due to the potential of harming the trees and stripping the bark. Students have mixed opinions on the policy.

“We have a campus policy against it, so I don’t think people should be hammocking out on the quad,” said Kristal Williams, a senior majoring in public health. “But off–campus is fine. I just think because we have a law against it here, keeping the quad beautiful is what we should want.”

But the ban does not stop students from finding other places to hammock, such as Lake Nicol or Lake Lurleen.

Lake Nicol is a short drive, about 25 
minutes, from The University of Alabama campus and offers hiking trails and cliff jumping around the lake. Its primary attractions are the 20-foot cliffs surrounding the lake, but it is also popular among hammockers. There are many spots along the trails where people can set up their hammocks with a view of the 
water below.

“My favorite spot is Riverwalk, but I also like how Lake Nicol feels like you are getting away,” Harris said. “It is relatively close to campus, but it feels like you’re in a 
completely different place from what the Tuscaloosa students’ know.”

Students use their hammock time for many different 
activities, and some students get creative with the way they hang their hammocks.

“They are really relaxing just to lay in, but it’s a 
different way to study or listen to music. Sometimes my friends and I will make hammock ladders and just sleep in them,” Harris said. “Hammock ladders are made when you stagger the hammocks at 
different levels between the same two trees. It’s a nice break from the web-connected stress of classes and homework that we students have to 
deal with.”