Let’s keep it classy, Capstone

On Saturday night, my friends and I arrived at Allen Bales Theatre and stood at the back of the line for admission to Guerilla Theatre. The show wasn’t starting for another hour, and the doors were not opening for another 30 minutes. Based on past experience, we were confident that we were going to get in.

Oh, how incredibly naïve we were.

The line not only started growing longer behind us as more people showed up, but it also started growing in front of us. This wasn’t spontaneous generation; this was a lack of common courtesy. People were cutting in line.

What happened next is obvious: we didn’t get in. The show sold out when we reached the front of the line.

It’s great that so many people want to see Guerrilla and support their fellow talented students. What’s not so great is that some people feel like they can jump ahead of thirty people who actually arrived first. Just because your friends are already standing in line when you arrive does not mean you are entitled to join them there. Admission is first-come, first-served, not last-come, first-served.

UA students are generally pretty good about being courteous. They open doors for each other, don’t steal each other’s seats at football games, and throw around the word “thanks” quite a lot.

I would like to think this incident was an exception to polite behavior, and not the beginning of a trend on campus. Let’s keep it classy, UA.

Aisha Mahmood is a senior majoring in journalism and political science