Which to abandon: power or conservatism?

Governments are fundamentally constructions that control the deployment of power. Be it despotism, with power consolidated at the top, or anarchism, with power distributed among the bottom, any governanment deals in the distribution of power. From here, the practical reality that any form of distribution of power will be unequal, it’s a rather small jump to make the connection between power and pride.

To edit Lewis: “Pride gets no pleasure out of having [power], only more [power] than the next man … It is the comparison that makes you proud: the pleasure of being [more powerful] than the rest.”

Power is a strong drug. It excites and tempts. It deludes the brain and clouds thinking. It titillates the mind with visions of the future. People are willing to sell their souls for it.

For example, the Church in the 20th century accepted into its ranks individuals with dubious theological beliefs so long as they agreed with the Church, and disagreed with the Church’s enemies, on social issues. It abandoned its definitional principles to enjoy societal and governmental power. Wolves were allowed among the sheep in the hopes of making the flock great again by grazing in 
greener pastures.

And conservatism today either already has or is about to fall into the same trap. Lured by power, some conservatives appear ready to recklessly abandon all principles for the sake of keeping the Democrats from the Oval Office.

The implications are dire. Not only will this confirm that conservatives are much of what liberals accused them of, but it will also confirm the ideological bankruptcy of the movement.

The idea of pursuing power for its own sake isn’t really conservative at all. Whereas conservatives used to be characterized by a healthy suspicion of human nature, and therefore of the unilateral consolidation of power, they are now offering it a full-fledged endorsement so long as that power appears to be on their side.

The accusation that conservatives have for so long thrown in the direction of big government – that governments will never use less power than that which they have afforded to them – now appears to be true about conservatives themselves. The irony goes unnoticed.

Which brings us to the unfortunate reality that now faces conservatism as an ideology. Whereas what is best for Christianity may not be what is best for America, it may too be that what is best for conservatism isn’t best for America. It needs to file for divorce from its decidedly unconservative bedfellows, even though it may mean they won’t be allowed back in the house for a while.

Part of the problem with power is that its abuse is perhaps more often perpetrated in its maintenance. Even Darth Vader himself sought his power in order to bring “peace, justice and security to [his] new Empire.” But sometimes winning the war means abandoning many hills in order to save the one on which your flag is staked.

The abandonment of power isn’t fun, and it’s not sexy, but sometimes it’s right, which is why we revere those who manage to taste it without swallowing. Cincinnatus returned to his plow, and Washington returned from the presidency. So too can conservatism return to its roots.

Will Leathers is a sophomore majoring in management information studies. His column runs biweekly.