We Are Done creates petition to diversify Strategic Planning Committee

We Are Done created an online petition to diversify the Strategic Planning Committee at the University. The group claims the committee was created to increase inclusivity on campus but, the petition reads, does not accurately represent all groups on campus.

However, according to the University’s own statements, the primary objective of the strategic planning committee is not solely to increase diversity on campus, but to “to make sure our students are prepared to be successful in a globally connected world,” by focusing on multiple areas of University development, including “graduate enrollment growth, faculty growth, facilities, research and diversity.” 

University president Stuart Bell announced the creation of the committee in October. On November 18, he announced the implementation of a central diversity officer and further development of a diversity plan as one of the goals of the committee.

“Unfortunately, the committee created to diversify campus does not reflect the diverse experiences of students and faculty based on race, gender, religion, sexuality and ability,” the petition read.

The petition purportedly outlines the racial breakdown of committee members, saying there are 11 caucasians, 3 blacks and no Hispanics, Latinos or Asians on the committee, though it is not clear how the determinations of these individuals’ racial identities was made.

The University’s current undergraduate populations is around 83 percent Caucasian, 12 percent Black, four percent Hispanic and two percent Asian.

It also correctly states that SGA President Elliott Spillers will serve only four months before his term as president ends.

“In order for the Strategic Planning Committee to execute its duties in achieving diversity, the committee itself must reflect the diversity it aims to achieve,” the petition read. “We sign in agreement and demand change.”

The petition currently has 140 supporters. This story will be updated as more information becomes available. The Crimson White has reached out to multiple parties for comment.