Pull off cozy, casual look on rainy days with rain boots, rain jackets

As someone who checked and double-checked that she packed her rain boots and umbrella before move-in day, I have found one of the biggest surprises of this school year to be the excessive amount of sunshine we have had.

When compared to last year’s continuous rain – including an almost 10-day streak and a surprise hit of snow – a frequent comment from many returning students has been along the lines of “I cannot believe it has barely rained this semester.”

When it is rainy and dreary, the amount of options for the day’s outfit seem to automatically decrease. Believe me, there are not many things more disappointing than having an outfit already picked out, only to look outside and see it pouring.

But just because you have to alter your plans and wear those new riding boots another day, that does not mean there are not ways to work with the rain. No matter the outfit, there are three rainy day essentials that should be in everyone’s closet: rain boots, a rain jacket and an umbrella.

It is my personal belief that every girl needs a pair of rain boots. From designer boots like Hunter brand, costing around $150, to cheaper options found at Target or Shoe Department for around $40, there are many pairs to choose from. They come in many colors and designs and can be easily implemented in an outfit.

For a casual and cozy look, pair your boots with leggings and a sweater. It is a look that does not require much effort, so it’s perfect for a lazy rainy day. If you are going for a dressier outfit, try putting the boots together with an A-line skirt and cardigan or fitted blazer. Add a pair of tights if the weather is a bit colder.

Another important essential is the rain jacket. With a variety of colors available, these jackets can potentially complement any outfit and still do their job of keeping you dry. For heavy-duty jackets, shop online for brands such as The North Face and L.L. Bean. They have many options for waterproof jackets that can cost between $90 and $200. Though expensive, these jackets can be a great investment, as they are meant for not only rainy days, but cold winter days as well.

Some cheaper options for rain jackets can be found at Target and sporting goods stores, such as Dick’s Sporting Goods and Academy Sports and Outdoors. Jackets at these places run from around $20 to $65.

If you do not have a rain jacket, invest in a good umbrella. But watch out – too many umbrellas walking around campus at the same time will cause inevitable collisions and frustration.

My personal preference is the bubble umbrella, which can be found at Wal-Mart. It makes a dome around you, both providing greater protection from the rain and lowering your chances of hitting with other umbrellas.

Walking to class in the rain and struggling to stay awake in the cloudy weather may not be an ideal part of the college experience, but it is a part nonetheless. With the right gear and a little creativity, you can keep the bad weather from putting a damper on your mood and your outfit. Plus, you can always jump in a few puddles. What better way to make the best of the rain?