Plan ahead, don’t let senior year catch you unprepared

With the arrival of October, students immerse themselves again in the biannual mania that is class registration. You can almost hear the freshmen madly dashing to advising offices and the click of DegreeWorks planners. Stress runs high, and everyone takes a step back to re-evaluate their track to graduation.

Registration always reminds me how limited our time in college is. Four years pass in the blink of an eye, and before you know it, freshman year exploration turns into the reality of senior year. Internship and job applications pile up as graduation peeks its head around the corner, and if you aren’t vigilant, you’ll be blindsided by four years of opportunity wasted.

One way to make the most of your college experience is to use the University’s resources. Professors, advising sessions and learning centers don’t jump out and grab you from websites or brochures. In fact, they might seem intimidating or time-consuming, but they’re full of untapped potential. They enable students to maximize their education but are often brushed aside by busy schedules and a false sense of time to spare.

Taking the initiative isn’t easy. Frankly, it’s daunting, but it’s also endless in benefits. Building a relationship with your professors comes in handy down the road when you need recommendations or research hours. They help you establish connections, find future classes and generate valuable experience. Even as a freshman or sophomore, it’s never too early to fill up your DegreeWorks planner or pop into office hours. Your invested time will pay off down the road as an upperclassman.

Asking the right questions at your advising appointments not just getting in and out to unlock your registration can prevent the realization that your hours aren’t adding up like they should. The Writing Center, math lab or Center for Academic Success take time out of your day, but their resources improve your comprehension of material. A student’s active participation culminates in four years well spent and heaps of stress eliminated early on.

The SGA Office of Academic Affairs wants to open doors for students to tap into these opportunities. From Oct. 7-Nov. 8, it’s launching the annual Academic Scavenger Hunt to acclimate students with several campus resources, as well as to facilitate dialogue with professors.

Students can pick up a passport at the SGA office, the Writing Center or any library and complete their stops to receive a prize from the SGA. Faculty members sign off the card after students meet with their professor one-on-one, attend an advising session, plan out two semesters on DegreeWorks and use an academic resource center.

We’re here for four years, and our clocks are ticking down. Diplomas aren’t won passively but require our relentless participation as we engage in our education and make relevant connections to carry us through graduation. Avoid the “just getting by” mentality and forget yielding to the false sense of time. It might seem like an easier choice when the time comes to walk to the math lab or knock on your teacher’s door, but, in the long run, you’ll thank yourself for the connections made and time well spent.

Allison Ingram is the SGA’s Crimson White liason.