Maxi skirts maximize versatility for every season

I will admit, it took me quite a while to jump onboard the maxi skirt bandwagon. I never could find the occasion or the courage to try the bold trend. But as time went on, I realized that it was a skirt length not going away any time soon.

Finally, I decided to try it and instantly understood why it is a style that has lasted so long. The maxi skirt can bring a twist to an otherwise ordinary outfit and can be worn in many different ways.

Even if you think it’s not the style for you or that you will have to wait until next summer to try it, think again. They have proven to have a lasting power over the cyclical trends wheel, and you can bet they will come back again and again each season. Why? One word: versatility. No matter who you are, where you are going or what time of the year it is, a maxi skirt can be included in your wardrobe. I believe this is one of the most versatile trends the fashion world has seen lately.

There really is one for every occasion. I see maxi skirts almost everywhere. While they are perfect for summertime occasions like a trip to the beach or a wedding, they can also fit plenty of other situations. Walk around campus and you can see one paired with a simple cropped T-shirt and sandals for class. Go out to the Strip one night, and you can find one worn with a nicer shirt and heels. Maxis have even become a big hit for gameday outfits, paired with pretty tanks ot strapless tops. They truly can be worn almost anywhere.

Maxi skirts have many patterns, colors and fabrics that are perfect for each season. The biggest misconception about them is that they are strictly for summertime only. While it is true they have the easy, laid-back feel that is perfect for summer, they can definitely be transitioned into fall weather. There are plenty available with the solid, rich colors of fall that come in fabrics that will keep your legs warm. Try pairing a solid-colored skirt with a warm sweater for a cooler day. Finish off your look with a pair of boots or other closed-toe shoes. If you are afraid your legs will still be cold, wear a pair of leggings under it. Nobody will be able to see your cold weather coverups.

Short people can rock them too. If you are vertically challenged like me, the first thing you think of when seeing a maxi skirt is that it would be way too long on you. As someone who barely stands over 5 feet tall on my best days, I understand the intimidation and frustration of holding one up and seeing it is almost as long as you are tall. But I believe maxi skirts can be worn by anyone, no matter your height. If you believe you are too short, try one that cinches around the middle of your waist. If that is still too long, pair it with comfortable heels. You may be surprised how nice such a long skirt can look on a short person. I know I was.

If you have always been tempted to try out the maxi skirt trend, there is no better time than now. With all the different styles out there and different ways they can be worn, these skirts are a perfect way to spice up your wardrobe – even if you do trip over it as you walk up the stairs. Nobody said fashion was perfect.