Be put-together, comfortable without typical T-shirt

When I began my first semester of college last year, I realized how little I knew about the college football fashion culture of the South. In high school, wearing a large T-shirt and jeans was the go-to look for sporting events. When I found out that it was the norm at The University of Alabama for girls to wear their best sundresses and guys to wear more than jeans and a T-shirt, my inner girly girl was ecstatic. As someone who prefers dresses on any given day, learning that I could wear one to a football game and not look out of place was a pleasant surprise.

Fast forward to the Colorado State game this year: It was gloomy, rainy and definitely took me out of my usual dress-wearing mood. Despite the gloom, I still wanted to look somewhat dressed-up, instead of resorting to a UA T-shirt and shorts (even though there’s nothing wrong with that). I didn’t want to have to choose between being completely dressed up or completely dressed down. The aim of my look was to be put-together, yet comfortable.

If that’s your ideal look for a gameday outfit, I suggest using nice skinny jeans or jeggings as a base. They are comfortable, warm and any nice top goes perfectly with them. To be even more comfortable, consider a pair of leggings. Just make sure the top you choose is long enough to cover your backside. And a loose, pretty top pairs perfectly with jeans or leggings. To keep the school spirit, choose a top with crimson, red or white in it. For my look, I paired black jeggings with a simple red top.

Not into pants? A pretty pair of shorts are just as comfortable and come in so many different prints and colors; I’m sure it will be possible to find a crimson, white or houndstooth pair. Try pairing your statement shorts with a chambray shirt or a simple tank top with a cardigan over it. Finish the look off with a sock bun and swipe of red lipstick, and you will look casual, yet show you put effort into your look.

For shoes, the more comfortable choice for walking through the tailgates would be a pair of simple flats. If you just can’t imagine not wearing heels, try a pair of wedged sandals, like I did. For colder games, any type of boots – flat, combat or wedged – would go perfect with anything. Just think of what shoes you’d rather be wearing while standing in the student section cheering for three hours.

In my opinion, accessories are the best way to really pull together a comfortable, yet put-together outfit. For my look, I chose to add a white scarf. Scarves are another item that come in many patterns and colors. They can add a big statement to an otherwise simple outfit. Jewelry can be another great accessory. A chunky necklace or bangle contrasts well with a simple blouse and makes the outfit a little more fun.

So don’t feel like you always have to choose between dressing up and dressing down. Go for a comfortable outfit that will give you confidence and will be easy to spend the day in, and, of course, remember to cheer hard and have fun.