Folk’s column a black mark on CW

Note: Thoughts expressed in the columns and letters of the opinions section are solely those of the author and do not reflect the opinion of the CW editorial staff.

Friday’s column by Dave Folk, “More Like the Ten-Cent Band,” is a recent black mark on The Crimson White’s usually thoughtful and respectful Opinions page.

Folk opines that his fellow students in the Million Dollar Band “suck” at halftime, and compares their formations to lines at a Lindsay Lohan “weekend coke bender,” to “Picasso on crack,” and to a “three-year-old’s finger paintings.”

At odds with this page’s mission to provoke thought, Folk takes up the purpose of cracking sophomoric one-liners at the expense of some of our University’s most spirited students.

Million Dollar Band members, as well as music arrangers, drill designers and music faculty, devote many hours of effort each week towards continually developing fresh productions to entertain Crimson Tide fans during halftime breaks. The band’s execution and musical excellence are on par with the country’s most outstanding band programs, and their dedication and service to the University is inestimable.

Folk’s column makes no intelligent observations, offers no insights into any subject, and is laced with a bitter sarcasm and off-color vocabulary that is not conducive to rational conversation. I kindly offer that contributors to this page maintain a high standard of

civility and restrict their submissions to thoughtful commentary on important topics.

Andrew Palmer is a graduate student in music.