Ad campaign addresses freshman 15

Classes, studying, parties and part-time jobs are just a few things that govern a student’s daily life, and finding a balance can seem impossible.

The LessThanUThink Campaign aims to help students do exactly that.

This campaign explains how it actually takes less than you think to make smart choices and live a healthy, balanced life.

As a new school year commences, many incoming students are worried about gaining the “freshman 15.”

“Like many unhealthy patterns, the freshman 15 is easy to avoid as long as students know how to moderate eating, drinking and physical activity,” according to a LessThanUThink press release.

“Typically, the weight gain can be attributed to students eating more calories and being less physically active,” said Sheena Quizon, a dietitian at the Student Health Center. “Looking at one’s class schedule and going ahead and deciding a time of the day for meals, snacks and physical activity can help students stay organized and dedicated to a lifestyle that helps manage their weight.”

Tips from “Avoid the Freshman 15,” a recent article on the LessThanUThink website, include comparing your physical activity level in high school to your current activity level and adjusting your caloric needs accordingly, watching portion sizes, having a variety of food groups at each meal, getting enough sleep and keeping yourself hydrated.

The article also encourages eating breakfast and scheduling meals every three to four hours. Breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism, while eating every couple of hours provides your body with consistent fuel, keeping the body satisfied and working to its best potential.

Making small, simple, healthy changes in daily choices can eliminate the need for crash diets or drastic exercise plans.

“If you can’t find the time to go to the gym, find ways to sneak that exercise in throughout the day,” said Suzanne Henson, a registered dietitian and professor at the University.

These activities can include walking to Shelby Hall instead of hopping on the bus, or parking farther away at Target rather than circling the lot looking for a front row spot. These little activities add up and can help with weight management.

According to a press release, addressing the threat of weight gain from the beginning of college makes for a much easier lifestyle than addressing the weight gain after it occurs.

Once students begin to see the benefits of making healthier decisions, it can lead them to make healthier choices in other areas of their lives as well. What started out as one healthy decision could become a pattern, which could become a healthier, balanced lifestyle altogether.

It all starts with one decision. The goal of the LessThanUThink campaign is to help you discover which areas of your life can be moderated and help you know how to make those simple, life-changing decisions.

The LessThanUThink website sums up their goals by saying “Our campaign isn’t just about binge drinking; it’s about a lifestyle of moderation. We know that moderation in one area of your life leads to moderation in other areas as well. The LessThanUThink campaign wants students to make smart decisions about money, school, relationships, health issues and more.”

Articles and blog posts that provide tips and advice on how to achieve this moderation are available on their website, lessthanuthink.org/lifestyle.