Travel safety should be a priority over spring break

“I’m going to go to Nashville for a few days because my aunt and uncle live there,” said Justin Chambers, a freshman majoring in management and information systems. “I’ll see them, go to a Nashville Predators hockey game, so that’ll be fun. You know, really just eat some good food and explore the 
Nashville area.”

Sarah Kathryn Bonds, a senior majoring in musical theatre, will be traveling to participate in the theatre department’s Senior Showcase.

“I’ll be in New York with Showcase, trying to get agents,” 
she said.

With many students traveling out of state, Alabama Department of Transportation Public Information Officer Haley Ansley encouraged students to use caution with the increase in traffic volume over spring break.

“Don’t become a statistic,” she said. “As a responsible driver, we hope that people will make informed decisions about driver abilities, potential distractions and ways to stay safe on Alabama’s roadways.”

Ansley’s safety advice for students traveling by car include always 
wearing your seat belt, not driving under the influence, obeying the speed limit and waiting for trains before crossing the tracks.

“The train always wins,” she said.

Ansley also gave advice for students traveling alone.

“Don’t let vehicle maintenance slide,” she said. “Roadside breakdowns may seem like the stuff of yesteryear, but they happen all the time, and they’re usually preventable by prudent maintenance.”

Ansley also advises that students keep their car battery in shape, check their tire treads and air level, get a professional’s opinion on all vehicle systems, keep their doors locked and use a GPS to prevent 
getting lost.

For current conditions on state, U.S. and interstate highways in Alabama, Ansley suggests students visit the ALDOT Road Conditions page online.

The National Weather Service’s six to 10 day outlook shows temperatures will be in the normal range for most of the South. Parts of Florida, 
northern Mississippi, and northern Texas may be slightly above normal temperatures. Parts of southern Texas may be below normal temperatures. The NWS also predicts mostly normal and below normal precipitation in the South. Parts of Florida and Georgia may see higher than normal precipitation. For daily updates, 
students can visit srh.noaa.gov/bmx.