Freezing rain, snow possible in Tuscaloosa this week

Tuscaloosa residents could experience some wintry weather over the next few days.

The National Weather Service is predicting a wintry mix for Tuesday, turning into rain Tuesday evening. The forecast for Wednesday predicts a chance of snow with a high of 35 degrees. 

The University of Alabama is taking precautions early this week as a result of the weather forecast. Students, faculty and staff received an email at about 3:15 p.m. Monday from The University of Alabama announcing cancellations and delays for the campus. 

“As a precaution, the University will cancel normal operations, classes and events as of 6 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 23, and will operate on a delayed schedule on Tuesday, Feb. 24,” the email stated. “Employees should report to work at 10 a.m., but should check with their supervisors to see if they are needed before 10 a.m. Classes will resume at 11 a.m. Students, faculty and staff should check weather conditions along the roadways they travel and should travel to and from campus only when they can do so safely. Also, pedestrians should take precautions walking on sidewalks and stairs.”

This announcement follows a string of weather advisories from the National Weather Service in Birmingham for areas of Alabama, including Tuscaloosa. The National Weather Service issued a Winter Weather Advisory until 9 a.m. Tuesday for central and northern Alabama. 

“Around 1 inch of snow is expected generally along and north of the Hwy 278 corridor,” the NWS weather message stated. “Further south…within the advisory area…between 0.05 – 0.08 inch of freezing rain accumulation is possible.” 

The National Weather Service also released a hazardous weather outlook at 2:14 p.m. Monday, predicting a “significant winter storm” on Wednesday. 

“The track and intensity of the system is becoming clearer and the system has the potential to produce accumulating snow and sleet with amounts up to 4 inches across the northern half of central Alabama,” the outlook stated. 

The National Weather Service also issued a winter storm watch from Wednesday morning to midnight. 

“Heavier snowfall accumulations will be possible across the north with as much as 2 to 4 inches possible,” according to the NWS winter weather message. “Counties south of the watch may still see a winter weather advisory.”